Friday, April 2, 2010

I am Addicted to Collecting (ATC) Art Trading Cards!

I need to make a confession here: I am a compulsive collector. Buttons, magnets, comic books, CDs and DVDs—you name it and I’ve probably considered collecting it in large quantities. I don’t know why I collect things, but it’s too late to save me now. I am a collector, through and through.


My latest interest is collecting Art Trading Cards (ATC). Art Trading Cards are the latest big trend in the art world. Originally conceived in Switzerland, they are a great way to collect art and get your own work noticed. These little gems are 2 ½ x 3 ½ inch masterpieces, and I am inspired to create and trade as many of them as I possibly can.

Other than the standard trading card size, there are no rules to follow when making an ATC. Materials, medium and subject matter are all up to the artist. The cards can become an inexpensive way to experiment and creatively spread your wings. Trading cards also allows you to study the work of other artists and gain an appreciation for creators and styles you might not be familiar with. With contact information included on the back of a card, they represent an easy way to expand your network of artists and fans of art. Many creators meet regularly for the purpose of exchanging Art Trading Cards, and art instructors have begun to integrate ATCs into their lessons. If you know anyone who enjoys arts or crafts, they might have shared a card or two themselves.

I have personally created Art Cards using pen and ink, pencil, and art marker. I am eager to attempt painting on such a small surface, and the results should be interesting. The small format is less intimidating, and I will eventually try my hand at calligraphy and collage, as well. Along the way, of course, I will continue with what I do best. The cards also provide an opportunity to experiment with different artistic styles. At some point, I hope to produce a series of cards influenced by Oriental artists. After that, I might try pop art in the 70’s style of Peter Max. A series of cards with masks might also make for an interesting card collection. The possibilities are endless.

There are other things to do with ATCs besides trade them. An Art Trading Card can be a wonderful gift. Who wouldn’t love to find an ATC tucked inside a book as a bookmark, or included in a gift basket? Wouldn’t a tiny bit of art look great with flowers sent to your partner on Valentine’s Day? How about throwing in an amusing drawing of the Easter Bunny for an Easter Basket? There is no occasion that can’t be brightened with a little artwork. It is a unique and personal gift to offer a friend or loved one that they would certainly appreciate.

A similar product named Art Cards, Editions and Originals (colloquially referred to as an ACEO) are cards intended for sale as well as to trade, and editions are printed to facilitate this. These cards are often found available on Ebay and personal web sites, and it is a way for fans of art and trading cards to collect them without needing to create their own—they don’t have to be an artist themselves.

It is speculation to assume that Art Trading Cards or Art Cards, Editions and Originals will increase in value over time, but there is no reason to believe they would not. If the reputation and notoriety of the artist increases, the value of his/her work will increase in a corresponding manner. Obviously, an ATC would be more valuable than an ACEO because the trading card is unique, but value of any work by a highly regarded creator will increase over time.

They’re inexpensive, informative, attractive and just plain fun to collect and I would encourage anyone to further investigate this fascinating hobby. If you are interested in learning more about Art Trading cards, please read my article on Art Trading Cards on Hubpages.

Art Trading Cards (ATC): the Latest Trend in Art




Thank you very much for reading, and happy collecting!

1 comment:

  1. Mike, I love the card above. I've heard a bit about art trading cards and it seems like the coolest idea! I love them! - Dolores

    ReplyDelete